PDA

View Full Version : Dak's Customizing Panel

dak
04-27-2007, 12:39 AM
The Panel will be held at 11:45am on Saturday. Panel is free for all attendees. I will cover customizing area's such as Gaining Idea's, Painting, Use of Matereals, Scratch Building and more. I will also be joined by fellow canadian customizer Mark from Mark's Projects, and we will answer all your customizing questions. Hope to see you all there!

DAK

Ondoher Prime
04-29-2007, 01:10 AM
PM sent. :)

dak
04-30-2007, 01:32 AM
A few things I forgot to mention in my panel:

One thing I did not say, but I ment to on the topic of putty's and clays. If you have a section where you have applied the clay or filler, it is a good idea to drill a hole so when you apply, it leaks through the hole and leaves a tighter hold. There have been times where the putty has fallen off because it's on a slick surface. but the hole creates a kind of a plug to prevent the putty from falling off.

When you Predrill, make sure your bit size is slightly smaller than the screw so the threads have a tight grip on the part.

One thing I warn you about nail polish is when using it as a clear coat, do not point it on, the polish is so toxic it can actually strip away the main paint layer. best way to prevent this is to put it on in globs. But clear nail polish is really good for creating a hard un chipable shell.

Dak

Stryder Wolfe
05-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Hey I really liked your customizing panel...some interesting tips...but it was hard to remember everything...next year if you get a chance I'd love to see more "work in progress" type things....

but yeah thanks for the tips in any case! Good work!

anemis
05-19-2007, 10:59 PM
hey !!

actually dak and i talked about maybe having a different concept next year.... maybe have you guys work on one of your pieces for a couple of hours and have me and dak and hopefully others give you tips and methods..... or maybe have a contest for the best work done in a couple of hours with pieces that would be the same for everyone and you customize it ! of course the later would cost something for materials and the actual figurine as paint,glue, ect......

so you guys can give ideas and we might be having something real cool next year where you could show your talents !!!

oh and by the way i want to say hi to everyone i,ve met !!! and quite a couple i might add !!

anemis (a.k.a mark from marksprojects)

Shepp
05-19-2007, 11:44 PM
well, as for common customizable pieces for people to work on, i'd suggest cuboyds. they're nice and blocky (think like a minimate done with cubes) to get a robot feel, they're meant to be customized, and they're made by hasbro.

then again, having people using tools and stuff in a large group brings up some first-aid concerns. plus, organizing the supply of tools, and making sure they come back.

then again, all of the tools and materials could be purchased as a kit along with the registered attendance of the class and contest. anyone not registered could come and watch, but not really participate except in Q&A at certain points.

edit: what i forsee as useful in the kit, a sealed cuboyd figure, small set of paints, two paint brushes (one large and one small), utility knife and cutting board, sandpaper, sheets of plastic, sidecutters, superglue, and a small metal ruler. i may be forgetting lots, but everything would be common between kits (except for cuboyd colours, since i think they're randomly packed)

edit 2: the only reason i didnt suggest a small transformer figure is that cuboyds are a better blank slate to work with than a scout or legends class figure, but still will give experience working with plastic and the tools needed.

hey !!

actually dak and i talked about maybe having a different concept next year.... maybe have you guys work on one of your pieces for a couple of hours and have me and dak and hopefully others give you tips and methods..... or maybe have a contest for the best work done in a couple of hours with pieces that would be the same for everyone and you customize it ! of course the later would cost something for materials and the actual figurine as paint,glue, ect......

so you guys can give ideas and we might be having something real cool next year where you could show your talents !!!

oh and by the way i want to say hi to everyone i,ve met !!! and quite a couple i might add !!

anemis (a.k.a mark from marksprojects)

JLvatron
05-20-2007, 03:40 PM
For TFcon to provide materials would require more than just organizing. It would require payment well in advance (like probably 2-3 months in advance) in order to have time to aquire it, plus not lose money when people don't show.

This was certainly an issue with the Pizza Party, people gave their word then didn't show, leaving a potential loss.

anemis
05-20-2007, 07:12 PM
For TFcon to provide materials would require more than just organizing. It would require payment well in advance (like probably 2-3 months in advance) in order to have time to aquire it, plus not lose money when people don't show.

This was certainly an issue with the Pizza Party, people gave their word then didn't show, leaving a potential loss.

that will defenitly be required ... or people who have already their tools can use theirs.... and perhaps we will have interesting tool packages for thoses who want to purchase on.... i,ll have to discuss this with dak in the future...