PDA

View Full Version : What programming do you want to see at TFcon 2010?

Super_Megatron
05-07-2009, 10:44 AM
People have shared their opinions on guests, what about programming? What kind of panels do you want to see next year? What did you like? What didn't interest you? Do you have an new panel idea?

jourdo
05-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Make the customizing class an all day or half day event. Other than that, the basic panels you had this past year were quite good.

Big Filipino
05-07-2009, 10:52 AM
I found the Hasbro panel to be rather boring and that's usually the most eagerly anticipated one. I think it was from a lack of new information.

I would have liked to have attended the Sunday panels but could only attend the con on Sat. Would it be possible to double up and repeat some panels?

silent4life
05-07-2009, 11:03 AM
I found the Hasbro panel to be rather boring and that's usually the most eagerly anticipated one. I think it was from a lack of new information.

I agree...I was expecting something more spectacular with more interaction from the fans. I know they were out in the hall, but would have been better to have a Q&A period with them during the panel.

FreedomGundam
05-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Maybe, just MAYBE, we might actually see the "How to organize a convention" panel? :D

GMfan
05-07-2009, 12:08 PM
The phantom panel? :P

We were supposed to do it this year but no one was in the panel room!

JLvatron
05-07-2009, 12:12 PM
I would have liked to have attended the Sunday panels but could only attend the con on Sat. Would it be possible to double up and repeat some panels?

Autographs and Transformers Pictionary are the only events that are repeated, for logistic reasons.

We try to maximize the amount of unique panels throughout the weekend, for the benefit of the attendees that stay for the entire convention. :)

chans formers
05-07-2009, 12:27 PM
a repeat of protomans japanese bots panel.so dissappointed i missed it:(it's nice to know what else is out there and what we may or may not ever see on our shores.

JLvatron
05-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Maybe, just MAYBE, we might actually see the "How to organize a convention" panel? :D

That depends if just MAYBE you would show up when we were ready to do it! :D

Seriously, nobody showed up, so we didn't do it.

UltraPrimal
05-07-2009, 12:28 PM
I have to agree with opinions already expressed so far. The Hasbro panel was pretty disappointing. TFCon seems to be getting more and more official recognition. Maybe next year we can actual get Aaron Archer or someone that can actual tell us stuff other than the usual corporate speak or "I'll run it by the American guys".

And I think if there's a customizing class next year, it needs to be alot longer.

I liked the "How to draw Transformers" panel. More of that artistic stuff would be awesome. Maybe a "How to write TF slash fiction" panel from one of the girls.:p

FreedomGundam
05-07-2009, 01:07 PM
:pThat depends if just MAYBE you would show up when we were ready to do it! :D

Seriously, nobody showed up, so we didn't do it.
Fair enough.
Next year, I'm making sure to sit in the panel room for it then. :D

Big Filipino
05-07-2009, 01:33 PM
How about a panel on knock-off Transformers? Seems like there are so many out there. Perhaps the panelists could demonstrate toy/packaging comparisons, signs of a KO, most popoular ones out there, etc.

Also, if they'd be willing to and could come up with enough material to take up 30 min to an hour, perhaps FansProject could do a presentation of things to come, their process, Q&A, etc.

Oasis
05-07-2009, 01:42 PM
"How to write TF slash fiction" panel from one of the girls

Be careful what you wish for. I would do it, if Colin let me, and I can - very quickly - get a long line of writers and artists willing to participate.

I loved loved loved loved that the guest actually got to do a panel where he presented his own expertise as a professional actor. If they're willing, it would be a cool thing to add. Can you imagine "Barn Noises 101 with Frank Welker" or "Sci-Fi Makeup Secrets with Bumper Robinson" or "Basic Comicbook writing with IDW" or "Camera Techniques with Michael Bay" or whatever?

FreedomGundam
05-07-2009, 02:03 PM
How about a panel on knock-off Transformers? Seems like there are so many out there. Perhaps the panelists could demonstrate toy/packaging comparisons, signs of a KO, most popoular ones out there, etc.
I dunno about that part, though, about KO TFs... especially considering that Hasbro is involved in the convention and all...

jourdo
05-07-2009, 02:35 PM
I dunno about that part, though, about KO TFs... especially considering that Hasbro is involved in the convention and all...

Would it really be a problem if the panel focused on how to spot the differences from the legit vs KO products?

Nerroth
05-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Speaking of fiction stuff, could a panel be done for those who write any kind of Transformers fan fiction to be able to discuss their work, why they choose to write about which topics, which bits of pre-existing canon they take on board, and where they might wish to take their stories in future?

BeeBoy29
05-07-2009, 02:44 PM
The protoman story time panel :D

Stormrave
05-07-2009, 03:28 PM
I think a fiction panel would also be interesting. As a writer, I'd contribute to it (if they will have someone who has no TF Slash to her credit).

On a related note, I know some cons that do 'zines of short fiction (and art) for the attendees. Artists get to show off on the art display, but it's harder for writers to show off at the con, hence the 'zine which attendees can take home. If TFCon did something like this, akin to the Gathering of the Gargoyles Anthology or "TF BOOTLEG!" from Botcon 200...6, I think, I'd definitely throw in a story. I could also edit something like this.

I would also like a repeat of the Lost in Translation panel. That's too good not to do again.

I think a KO panel sounds intriguing.

I didn't go to dak's customizing panel this year, having been to it the past few years, but I think you should keep it, because it's very informative.

I would also like to see a repeat of the art panel. I missed this years and wished I had made it.

I don't think it's the con's fault that the Hasbro panel was less interesting this year. First, it's not the con's fault that Hasbro reps are limited in what they can say, and second, it's not Hasbro's fault that protos leaked and their info wasn't a big surprise to those of us who dwell on the intarwebz regularly.

Pascal
05-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Hasbro reps vs stolen toy sellers death match in a glass cage. :D

Big Filipino
05-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Would it really be a problem if the panel focused on how to spot the differences from the legit vs KO products?

Right. I'd envision a panel that discusses KO to demonstrate how to spot them, what to look for, what's out there currently, etc. Basically try to educate people about them, not encourage them to buy it.

Protoman
05-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Hasbro in 2007 actually did a quick pull away from their product panel at Botcon to explain how to tell the real from fake G1 cassettes and other examples and that these products are not Hasbro licensed and thus not up to current safety yada yada yada, you know what I mean.

JLvatron
05-07-2009, 08:18 PM
[- snipped]

know what I mean.

Ernest P.Worrell's catch phrase? We actually had a Transformers-Ernest event at TFcon 2005. :D

True story! :)

CobraCommander
05-07-2009, 08:43 PM

Also, if they'd be willing to and could come up with enough material to take up 30 min to an hour, perhaps FansProject could do a presentation of things to come, their process, Q&A, etc.

+1

Also I know it probably will never happen but it would be cool to see how Hasbro goes about making toys from designs to production products. Let's see some pics from inside the factories where they are made. Let's see more prototypes that never were made, etc.

Another thought, it would be cool to go deeper into the history of TF's, from Microman to Diaclone to eventually G1. Maybe even discuss ultra rare figures and estimated prices.

jourdo
05-07-2009, 08:48 PM
+1

Also I know it probably will never happen but it would be cool to see how Hasbro goes about making toys from designs to production products. Let's see some pics from inside the factories where they are made. Let's see more prototypes that never were made, etc.

This is an awesome idea. How a toy goes from concept to finished product.

UltraPrimal
05-08-2009, 09:07 AM
I have an idea. How about some musical activities? Dancing and karaoke?

Super_Megatron
05-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Only if you want me to slit my wrists.

Bruticus82
05-08-2009, 01:06 PM

I'm sure we all wish we could be Lion, or Stan Bush, or Weird Al belting out the lyrics to transformers songs...

Say, wasn't there talk of one of the songs being in guitar hero? If there was ever an excuse to have a guitar hero tournament during TFCon I think that's it. ;)

Aernaroth
05-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Another thought, it would be cool to go deeper into the history of TF's, from Microman to Diaclone to eventually G1. Maybe even discuss ultra rare figures and estimated prices.

There was a panel on the history of TF this year... kind of...

Protoman
05-08-2009, 05:53 PM

Hrrrrmmmm.......................

UltraPrimal
05-08-2009, 07:52 PM
I wouldn't mind a pre-Transformers panel. Would have been more appropriate this year with Powered Commander, but c'est la vie.

Phalanx
05-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Never know what next year's exclusive may bring... :D

JLvatron
05-11-2009, 08:34 AM
I wouldn't mind a pre-Transformers panel. Would have been more appropriate this year with Powered Commander, but c'est la vie.

You mean like a History of Transformers panel?

Dude, There was 1! :)

UltraPrimal
05-11-2009, 08:59 AM
You mean like a History of Transformers panel?

Dude, There was 1! :)
Oh, well. I missed it.

Zodberg
05-11-2009, 09:29 AM
not a event suggestion, but a mapping concern-
next year, how about the artists being grouped together? like perhaps some sort of alley?