PDA

View Full Version : Tfcon Feedback - Improvements, Suggestions, Ideas?

Dark Rage
04-28-2009, 12:52 AM
Just wanted to put this up since as great as TFcon was, there's always room for improvement.

Were there any issues, quirks, or disappointments you people had at the convention?

I'd love to hear what else can be done to make it better. So far, we have lots of Americans favoring TFcon over Botcon, which just leaves me a big grin.

Here are a few of mine:

TFcon program pamphlets
I know Scolscud said that the programs could look a bit more professional, but the idea never occured to me since I guess some people might wanted to keep it, and a colored one is prettier. I was always used to it being B&W anyways.

Bagging stations
I noticed that Transformers dealers tend to forget the bags, as I noticed that on Saturday. Ironically, all the 80's toy show dealers were totally prepared, almost everyone I saw had their purchases bagged. Would anyone want a spare bagging bin for people who dont need theirs anymore to put it in (such as putting their good in their cars) for others who need it?

Protoman
04-28-2009, 01:02 AM
Honestly, the only problem I had, and it's completely pointless really to mention is that DAMN AC IN THE PANEL ROOM. One moment you could drop dead due to heat, the next moment it was freezing like hell, I remember I had to run upstairs 10 minutes before my J-TF panel to get a long sleeve top otherwise I would be shaking like a leaf.

Otherwise, BEST. CON. EVAR!!!! =P

No seriously, we rocked so much it's not even funny, even Botcon veterans were so amazed.

chans formers
04-28-2009, 01:03 AM
boxes and tubes would be doable too.the boxes for the guys buying parts/smaller loose items but dont have bags or a backpack,and simple cardboard tubes mostly for the annual tfcon lithographs to be able to be shoved into a suitcase so you dont forget them on a airport shuttle bus:o
for fun factor,someone on this board suggested something along the lines of a trypticon/skylynx/omegasupreme race/walk contest not too long ago.i can see it now,a supercharged trypticon burning up the track:D

GMfan
04-28-2009, 01:08 AM
I like the bagging stations...awesome idea...problem with coloured program guides are they are ridiculously expensive and to account for the additional cost we`d have to raise admission.

At most I REALLY wanted to do colour for the cover and back (Powered Commander bio) so they would stick out.....how were those I threw them together one night the week before the show :P

Dark Rage
04-28-2009, 01:09 AM
for fun factor,someone on this board suggested something along the lines of a trypticon/skylynx/omegasupreme race/walk contest not too long ago.i can see it now,a supercharged trypticon burning up the track:D

Tubes? Yeah, it's a good idea, depending on my budget (or people can just prep by bringing their own tubes, but it might not be big enough), I wouldn't mind doing it at cost, 'really hurts to see Alex Milne's spectacular work to be dented.

Boxes drop offs are good too, space might be hard to find though.

As for the TF race, it's so silly, it might work and be very popular. Watch some guy try to mod his TF's electric part and end up setting it on fire. Ssssssmokin'

As for the AC, yeah, it's really inconsistent. I was freezing in the dealer's room on Sunday, while it was a BO sauna on Saturday.

cannabisprime
04-28-2009, 01:12 AM
Not sure how feasible it is, but maybe move the Q&A panels with the special guests to later on in the afternoon (instead of during the lunch hour).

The bagging station (with possible boxes and tubes)is a pretty good idea!

Other than that, I'll have to echo the sentiments of the guy who sleeps in the fetal position... BEST. CON. EVAR!!!!

Nightscrabbler
04-28-2009, 01:13 AM
Good thread, Dark Rage, feedback is the most important thing post-con. From my staff perspective, it was tough and tricky with all the new things this year and yet that was what made it good. New panels and games, new prizes and more prizewinners, new format, new guests with a new TF series, new day adding Sunday of course, and many new people who were great. I know each of those new panels and games can be improved, I saw bits of the panels I wasn't running and they were great but I still have a general idea how to work on them and the panels I was helping run I can see a lot of room for improve. Looking forward to what the attendees have to say.

chans formers
04-28-2009, 01:15 AM
the tubes if you do end up doing it,i can supply tons of them that range from 14",24",32"and 48"long,all for free because at my work we just throw them out(they're originally used for vinyl/decals,kinda like toilet paper rolls except the cardboard is nice and thick.(from 1eighth thick to 3 sixteenth thick)

Nightscrabbler
04-28-2009, 01:16 AM
Other than that, I'll have to echo the sentiments of the guy who sleeps in the fetal position
LOL! :D

Nightscrabbler
04-28-2009, 01:18 AM
the tubes if you do end up doing it,i can supply tons of them that range from 14",24",32"and 48"long,all for free because at my work we just throw them out(they're originally used for vinyl/decals,kinda like toilet paper rolls except the cardboard is nice and thick.(from 1eighth thick to 3 sixteenth thick)

Cool. Any time someone can contribute something helpful to the con and fellow fans, we definitely try to make the best of that, expect to hear from the operations staff on this matter in the new year.

chans formers
04-28-2009, 01:21 AM
no prob,just lmk either way so im not explaining to mom inlaw why there's a bedroom full of card board tubes or"junk" as she calls it:rolleyes:

Dark Rage
04-28-2009, 01:21 AM
Not sure how feasible it is, but maybe move the Q&A panels with the special guests to later on in the afternoon (instead of during the lunch hour).

The bagging station (with possible boxes and tubes)is a pretty good idea!

Other than that, I'll have to echo the sentiments of the guy who sleeps in the fetal position... BEST. CON. EVAR!!!!

Yeah, I think a 2 hour break between panels is good for people to grab some grub. It does take awhile to get food across the road.

Protoman just likes to be aerodynamic while he sleeps, that's all ;)

That's awesome man, that's a great way to ensure posters, artwork and lithographs aren't damaged during the con. But then everyone's gonna start whacking each other like Jedi's...tsk tsk, so immature.

Protoman
04-28-2009, 01:36 AM

How do you!?................. *locks his doors*

UltraPrimal
04-28-2009, 02:00 AM
My only problem was that it wasn't long enough! Alot of the events were either overlapping and some didn't happen at all. Especially in the cases of Friday and Sunday. There just wasn't enough time to do everything. I was really looking forward to stuff like pictionary and DS Battles.

And maybe some kind of lunch and dinner hours on the schedule would be good. I think I only ate once per day. Pizza and cake on Friday. Harvey's with some fellow fans on Saturday. And breakfast at Tim's on Sunday. Though, surprizingly, I wasn't that hungry the whole weekend.:)

Also, let me know for next year, if you want me to do some light volunteer work.

Nightscrabbler
04-28-2009, 02:01 AM
Pictionary did end up happening Sunday afternoon around 3:30.

UltraPrimal
04-28-2009, 02:06 AM
Pictionary did end up happening Sunday afternoon around 3:30.
Oh, I must have missed it. I think I was in either Guber or Daniels panel at that time.

Vangelus
04-28-2009, 02:18 AM
Really for me the only constructive crits would be:

-Bring baseball bats to maim the teeth out of the sadistic entity that controlled the panel room's AC

-Customizing panel was incredibly well-done but needs a bigger time block (barely really a criticism, more of a learning curve thing). Nontheless, props to Dak and the others helping run the shindig!

-Make the inhabitants of Fort Meema not sell out their entire table within a day

Protoman
04-28-2009, 02:23 AM
3:30... yup that was Daniel/Proto time.

UltraPrimal
04-28-2009, 02:24 AM
Someone needs to point out "Fort Meema" to me next year. I do not know what the Meema brothers look like. I would like some cheap toys too.:D

Dark Rage
04-28-2009, 02:36 AM
dak needs assistants to make the Customizing panel go by faster. I'm not saying the attendants are special, but dak's only one guy.

I say just have his panel at the end of the day, lol.

Protoman
04-28-2009, 02:55 AM
dak needs assistants to make the Customizing panel go by faster. I'm not saying the attendants are special, but dak's only one guy.

I say just have his panel at the end of the day, lol.

Hmmm from what I can tell, what slowed it down was moments like "unscrewing parts" when one table only had one screw driver, so when you got like 10 guys at a table and each has to remove 5 screw from Sunstreaker's torso..... it can eat up some time. Keep in mind also, Botcon does this on a day ALONE from all things Botcon related cause they know this stuff takes time. "Nova Prime nor Rome was not build in a day"

GMfan
04-28-2009, 02:56 AM
Someone needs to point out "Fort Meema" to me next year. I do not know what the Meema brothers look like. I would like some cheap toys too.:D

They were only there on Saturday, on the right of Fansproject, across the way from Alex Milne. They had a sign but it fell. To find Ryan (for soundwaveCA look for someone a Jays hat, golf shirt, and jeans :P)

cannabisprime
04-28-2009, 03:01 AM
Is that costume contest going to be a fixture from now on or was that a one-off? The kiddies just ate that up, especially with that amazing Animated BB and Sari costume.

How do you!?................. *locks his doors*

The walls can talk at the Doubletree! In some rooms, the ceilings even moan!!

GMfan
04-28-2009, 03:05 AM
The walls can talk at the Doubletree! In some rooms, the ceilings even moan!!

Kept Alex awake so he could get drawing and inking done :P

Hmmm from what I can tell, what slowed it down was moments like "unscrewing parts" when one table only had one screw driver, so when you got like 10 guys at a table and each has to remove 5 screw from Sunstreaker's torso..... it can eat up some time. Keep in mind also, Botcon does this on a day ALONE from all things Botcon related cause they know this stuff takes time. "Nova Prime nor Rome was not build in a day"

We were supposed to get screwdriver sets but couldn't find any in time for the show :(

Solscud007
04-28-2009, 08:34 AM
GMfan, Yeah after reading your post about how many copies you guys had for the program guide cost is a large issue. However I also think that the con weekend badges could be color and still cheap at only 500 prints.

pm me for ideas.

dak
04-28-2009, 08:47 AM
Lesson learned, Book MORE time for customizing. I'd also like to change up the Customizing panel, needs something fresh and different.

Mike
04-28-2009, 08:51 AM
signs!

I walked into the front lobby of the Hotel and had no idea where to go. Even when I got to the front entrance of the convention, the only way I could tell it was the convention, was a small line up of people. no signs saying "TFCON" or "register here" or "this way" or "you're going the wrong way, toys are back this way" etc..

Even some dollar store poster board and a basic sign with black marker would be great.

Oreobot
04-28-2009, 09:11 AM
It was the best TF Con yet. The colour convention tee shirt, lithograph, costume contest and exclusive were great! The guests were awesome and it was great to have a second day to get autographs. The opportunity to meet a G1 voice actor is a big reason that I fly across the country to attend TF Con. (Could we get an announcement of who the guest is earlier next year?)

I didn't make it down to the pre-registration table on Friday evening, so I got stuck in the long, normal registration line on Saturday morning. We could use someone to manage the line(s) because it wasn't clear whether people were in a Hasbro, registration, or pre-registration line up. Also, it would be nice if pre-registered people could get into the dealer room early admission line ahead of the people who show up on Sat morning and pay their admission.

A number of events on Sunday ran into each other because the customizing went slower than planned. It's okay if people are slow, but maybe arrange for 2 hours+ for the customizing and/or put it in a separate room where other events are not taking place.

Also, it was tough to decide what to go to and miss on Sunday because some things were scheduled at the same time. Pictionary on Sunday afternoon was fun.

CobraCommander
04-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Shopping Carts... So I only have to make one trip back to the car per day :D

CobraCommander
04-28-2009, 10:40 AM

I like this idea, I can see my Trypticon jacked with NO2 and sporting some fancy mugen stickers :D

Super_Megatron
04-28-2009, 10:49 AM
I think it would be pretty difficult for you to bring those on the plane with you. Basically if I was looking to buy posters at a show and didn't want them bent I bring a poster tube myself. I've seen many people do this at cons.

I walked into the front lobby of the Hotel and had no idea where to go. Even when I got to the front entrance of the convention, the only way I could tell it was the convention, was a small line up of people. no signs saying "TFCON" or "register here"
Actually all the hotel screens had the event listed and the rooms they were in. The front desk had a 8 foot sign that said registration but I agree there could be more TFcon signage.

Is that costume contest going to be a fixture from now on or was that a one-off? The kiddies just ate that up, especially with that amazing Animated BB and Sari costume.
I see it returning again next year.

Yeah, I think a 2 hour break between panels is good for people to grab some grub. It does take awhile to get food across the road.
That would be 2 hours with no programming and people not having anything to do. I don't see this happening.

CobraCommander
04-28-2009, 10:52 AM
We were supposed to get screwdriver sets but couldn't find any in time for the show :(

Dollarama has them... and surprisingly only for $1.00 :eek:

dak
04-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Dollarama has them... and surprisingly only for $1.00 :eek:

that's where he went. The location was out i guess.

Cheers Ian
04-28-2009, 12:22 PM
As far as bags are concerned, maybe it could be investigated if there was a way to offer souvenir re-usable bags (like the ones that are being sold in many stores right now) for a nominal fee.

Personally I think that would be a great souvenir and with many supermarkets now charging for plastic bags it would be very useful for afterwards.

Also I think there should be a seperate table for filling out your door prize ballots. The line got kind of congested with people filling out their ballots. Try to keep the line flowing as best as possible.

Also, I'm definetly going to be pre-registering next year so I can get in the dealer room at 9:00 a.m. It was just a little too insane from about 10:00 - 11:00 a.m.

Cheers!
-Ian

EnragedCoconut
04-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Dunno if this is possible but maybe the hotel would allow for a refreshment sale booth to be set up? Either their product or someone else's. One of those Tim Horton's on wheels that you see sometimes would have made a killing over the weekend. If the hotel won't allow a Tim's, maybe they'd be interested in setting something up themselves.

EC

EnragedCoconut
04-28-2009, 01:20 PM
As far as bags are concerned, maybe it could be investigated if there was a way to offer souvenir re-usable bags (like the ones that are being sold in many stores right now) for a nominal fee.

Personally I think that would be a great souvenir and with many supermarkets now charging for plastic bags it would be very useful for afterwards.

Also I think there should be a seperate table for filling out your door prize ballots. The line got kind of congested with people filling out their ballots. Try to keep the line flowing as best as possible.

Also, I'm definetly going to be pre-registering next year so I can get in the dealer room at 9:00 a.m. It was just a little too insane from about 10:00 - 11:00 a.m.

Cheers!
-Ian

A reuseable Transformers grocery bag??!! I would have bought dozens.....Beats having the Costco logo plastered all over them.

EC

Stormrave
04-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Mostly stuff I put in another thread reposted here for on-topicness:

1. Lunch break - Rather than putting a break in the programming at lunchtime (or dinnertime), put something that's more flexible and less heavily attended. For example, put two half-hour games so people can choose to go eat for half an hour and then play the other game. Or if you run "Lost in Translation" or Dak's customizing panel again, put it at lunchtime - those who saw it the year before can go eat while it's on. Half an hour is long enough to grab a sub or burger (which is an improvement on cheetos and bottle caps for lunch...)

I don't know if restaurant licensing or hotel rules would allow someone to sell prepackaged snacks and drinks at the con, but if it was allowed, it would be a great service to the crowd AND profitable...(I sent Phalanx to the store on Friday night for two extra cases of pop because of so many walk ins wanting to buy a cold pop from me during/after the pizza party! AND I SOLD IT ALL!)

2. I really liked having games at the pizza party by the way. It was great having everyone hang around for a few hours, eating, talking and playing. Let's do this again.

3. I would have liked it to be clearer how to get the Toys R Us coupons, where, and when. I just made a point of hanging around the registration table, checking in now and then until I got a coupon (which I found out when I got home, what it was for exactly :)

4. Same with door prizes...I won one, and the person behind the table was not sure what, exactly, I won when I came to get my prize. (I was given the litho, which I'm very pleased with, but it was odd that there was that confusion about what I was supposed to get for my prize.)

5. I liked the lanyards a lot better than wristbands (or pins like Botcon 2002, those were annoying). Lanyards again plz :)

6. For ideas I would like to see more panels like Lost in Translation (that one deserves to be done again next year), the how to draw panel, that sort of thing.

7. Oh, also, Dan's Sunday panel was great--coaching people with real scripts. It was different from the Saturday panel (which is the classic format, great, don't change it) but it was nice to see something different on Sunday that was also very educational about how it is to work as a voice actor.

Omega.Prime
04-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Got an idea for those who can't make it out there, perhaps setup a live cam/web cam of some sorts? Maybe a follow a member for a few hours cam? or something like that anyways so we can somehow participate if we can't make it out...

This would take the TFcon to the next level of awesomeness.

:D

Nightscrabbler
04-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Got an idea for those who can't make it out there, perhaps setup a live cam/web cam of some sorts? Maybe a follow a member for a few hours cam? or something like that anyways so we can somehow participate if we can't make it out...

This would take the TFcon to the next level of awesomeness.

:D
I'd like to do something like this, if we can have the human resources for it -staff is probably too busy for something of this sort, but if we get a volunteer who would help coordinate and handle it, it would be nice and be a good way to promote the convention. Of course, we'd only show bits and pieces so that outsiders wouldn't get the full benefits of the panels that the attendees do.

Rogue_Optimus
04-28-2009, 05:36 PM
I posted this in another thread but I'll put it here as well. Maybe have the dealer room open for like another 1/2hr or so after the last panel to give those of us time to do a final walkthru for those last minute purchases.

Phalanx
04-28-2009, 10:58 PM
May be nice to have the panels announced in the dealer room before they begin... Can be easy to lose track of time or not realize what's going on elsewhere when you're surrounded by so much other stuff. O.o

A brief lunch break and some sort of refreshments on site, as mentioned above, also have my vote.

dak
04-29-2009, 09:13 AM
90% of the time, the panels were announced in the dealer room and there was a water refreshment station between the registration table and the hallway to the dealer room.

Quicky
04-29-2009, 11:12 AM
I guess the only gripes I had was that the customizing class should have been in a seperate room. My kids were disappointed that the video showings were canceled because of this. Then the class went into overtime and started messing up with the other panels schedules which threw me off my schedule.

I'm definitely in for lunch time, but I don't want to compromise panels or the dropping of panels to fit it in...I don't think I want that.

When we were registering Friday night, we didn't see any signs indicating where the convention area was.

The wife and I were planning on going to the late night event on Sunday at the bar but the bar was closed. Better communication with the hotel is needed.

I don't know if this is possible but as a foreigner I would like to see some kind of map of local places to eat next to the con. I can't afford to be eating at the hotel...breakfast, lunch and dinner....no money for toys, we can't have that...:) Now if the con is going to be held next year in the same hotel, I'm a little more familiar with the surroundings but I'm pretty sure I'm still missing out on some good 'Canadian style' eats.

I love the fact that everything was pretty close together...the hotel rooms are right there...! The pool with the water slides...come on! I loved that. I'm all for next year in this hotel.

I would love to see some color badges and at least a color program cover for the con...money permitting.

The dealer room had lots of variety but prices were on the high side. I'm not familiar with prices for a majority of items in Canadian dollars but for this 'American' it was a little high so I couldn't see myself overspending on things in the dealer room when I can get it cheaper back home. I can't complain too much though, I found a verrrryyy good condition Terrosaur for 5 bucks Canadian...:)

As a Botcon goer for the last 8 consecutive years I have to say that you guys ran a hell of a convention. The lines were not long, things were running smoothly (I can't stand Botcon's long lines). Don't get me wrong, I love Botcon...it just feels like it has gotten too big. I definitely had more fun interacting with you guys and even got to participate in some games, which is something I really haven't had a chance to do at Botcon.

I really don't have anything negative too say about the convention itself or the staff. The staff were nice and very helpful, I have no complaints. The family and I had fun and hope to make it again next year. If i think of anything else constructive, I'll let you guys know.

Thanks again for the wonderful con...:)

GMfan
04-29-2009, 12:09 PM
The wife and I were planning on going to the late night event on Sunday at the bar but the bar was closed. Better communication with the hotel is needed.

This one was out of left field because as far as we knew the Bar was open on Sunday...it even said that in our rooms hotel books so the fact that it was closed still puzzles me. I'd like to apologize for that, for the last 4 years we've gone into the bar after every TFcon.

Big Filipino
04-29-2009, 12:19 PM
My suggestions:
1) Color Badges and/or a space to write your screen name (I was told to write my name on the badge but if I had the option to write my screen name too, that'd help in identifying people)

2) Would have like to seen the bio of Powered Commander with a little bit more flare than just a B&W write up at the back of the convention brochure.

Otherwise, as first time TFCon attendee, I was impressed and hope to be back next year.

Quicky
04-29-2009, 12:21 PM
This one was out of left field because as far as we knew the Bar was open on Sunday...it even said that in our rooms hotel books so the fact that it was closed still puzzles me. I'd like to apologize for that, for the last 4 years we've gone into the bar after every TFcon.

No problem GM, I spent more time in the pool with the family.

Next year though I would love to hang out with you guys in a more adult setting having some drinks and partying late into the night...:)

zuffyprime
04-29-2009, 01:09 PM
I think the only suggestion that cannibusprime had was to move the con to a location that is a little closer to a mandarin?:p just teasing you bro...

you know I mean to say "closer to a korean bbq":D

Beechy
04-29-2009, 01:20 PM

Every other TFCon ended on saturday....

UltraPrimal
04-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Every other TFCon ended on saturday....
Ahhh...

The wiseman speaks.

Too bad I missed Sunday night.

Next year. Next year.

dak
04-29-2009, 02:14 PM
I guess the only gripes I had was that the customizing class should have been in a seperate room. My kids were disappointed that the video showings were canceled because of this. Then the class went into overtime and started messing up with the other panels schedules which threw me off my schedule.

we didn't think that it was going to be as long as it was, mostly cause it was the first time doing it. But for next year, we know what to expect and can plan better.

Darth Grimlock
04-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Just putting this out there. Me and my wife ended up staying at the Residence by Marriott which was about a 3 minute drive from the Convention. They have full kitchenette suites that we ended up getting for the same price as the TFCon room rate. Yeah having to walk or drive to unload was a pain but it was nice, could buy some groceries and just cook meals. As well they had full complementry breakfast in the morning. Just a thought for next year for anyone coming from out of Toronto.

Nerroth
04-29-2009, 05:38 PM
One thing which might be nice in future is a place (table, booth, or something) for Cybertron.ca regulars to say hi, meet up, introduce each other, and so forth...

...or, at least, for those of us who haven't gotten around to face-to-face introductions to be able to have a jump-off point regarding getting to know everyone.

Dark Rage
04-29-2009, 11:44 PM
One thing which might be nice in future is a place (table, booth, or something) for Cybertron.ca regulars to say hi, meet up, introduce each other, and so forth...

...or, at least, for those of us who haven't gotten around to face-to-face introductions to be able to have a jump-off point regarding getting to know everyone.
http://www.sogeshirts.com/images/cool_graphic_tshirts/buy%20me%20a%20drink%20tshirt%20hello%20my%20name% 20is.jpg

jourdo
04-30-2009, 12:03 AM
My only real comment (or room for improvement) would be the badges/programs. A little colour would add a ton.

I over heard others complain about the lines on the Saturday morning (which one was for the registration/dealer room). I personally didn't find it to be an issue, but maybe a sign or two?

http://www.sogeshirts.com/images/cool_graphic_tshirts/buy%20me%20a%20drink%20tshirt%20hello%20my%20name% 20is.jpg

Really... couldn't that apply to anyone? :p

Dark Rage
04-30-2009, 12:11 AM
I over heard others complain about the lines on the Saturday morning (which one was for the registration/dealer room). I personally didn't find it to be an issue, but maybe a sign or two?

We can have you holding up a giant billboard and wearing a costume :D

Really... couldn't that apply to anyone? :p

Fine...
http://images9.cafepress.com/product/28419929v1_350x350_Front.jpg
Now isn't that better?

jourdo
04-30-2009, 12:21 AM
We can have you holding up a giant billboard and wearing a costume :D

Sweet! I'm there.

cannabisprime
04-30-2009, 03:32 AM

I'm not sure signage was the issue in that instance. It just happened that the registration line, instead of spilling out into the main walkway, ended up forming around the perimeter of the wall of the main foyer.

I think the only suggestion that cannibusprime had was to move the con to a location that is a little closer to a mandarin?:p just teasing you bro...
you know I mean to say "closer to a korean bbq":D

LOL; it's all good! Let me know if you need any help figuring out that belt buckle by the way! :p

JLvatron
04-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Mostly stuff I put in another thread reposted here for on-topicness:

1. Lunch break - Rather than putting a break in the programming at lunchtime (or dinnertime), put something that's more flexible and less heavily attended. For example, put two half-hour games so people can choose to go eat for half an hour and then play the other game. Or if you run "Lost in Translation" or Dak's customizing panel again, put it at lunchtime - those who saw it the year before can go eat while it's on. Half an hour is long enough to grab a sub or burger (which is an improvement on cheetos and bottle caps for lunch...)

I don't know if restaurant licensing or hotel rules would allow someone to sell prepackaged snacks and drinks at the con, but if it was allowed, it would be a great service to the crowd AND profitable...(I sent Phalanx to the store on Friday night for two extra cases of pop because of so many walk ins wanting to buy a cold pop from me during/after the pizza party! AND I SOLD IT ALL!)

2. I really liked having games at the pizza party by the way. It was great having everyone hang around for a few hours, eating, talking and playing. Let's do this again.

3. I would have liked it to be clearer how to get the Toys R Us coupons, where, and when. I just made a point of hanging around the registration table, checking in now and then until I got a coupon (which I found out when I got home, what it was for exactly :)

4. Same with door prizes...I won one, and the person behind the table was not sure what, exactly, I won when I came to get my prize. (I was given the litho, which I'm very pleased with, but it was odd that there was that confusion about what I was supposed to get for my prize.)

5. I liked the lanyards a lot better than wristbands (or pins like Botcon 2002, those were annoying). Lanyards again plz :)

6. For ideas I would like to see more panels like Lost in Translation (that one deserves to be done again next year), the how to draw panel, that sort of thing.

7. Oh, also, Dan's Sunday panel was great--coaching people with real scripts. It was different from the Saturday panel (which is the classic format, great, don't change it) but it was nice to see something different on Sunday that was also very educational about how it is to work as a voice actor.

Glad you liked the games during Pizza. we'll be sure to do it again!:)

Some of the new panels like Lost, Draw, Voice Acting, were all there because we finally had the extra time (extra day) to do them.
You can bet we'll continue as such.

There actually was a lighter load for lunch between 1-2 pm on Saturday.
With such heavy hitters as the Voice actor, Animated designer, Hasbro, as well as staple events like Trivia, Script, and Customizing panel that happen in 1 afternoon, it's tough to find a break without sacrificing some cool event! :)

JLvatron
04-30-2009, 12:39 PM
selcted points by:

I'm definitely in for lunch time, but I don't want to compromise panels or the dropping of panels to fit it in...I don't think I want that.

I don't know if this is possible but as a foreigner I would like to see some kind of map of local places to eat next to the con. I can't afford to be eating at the hotel...breakfast, lunch and dinner....no money for toys, we can't have that...:) Now if the con is going to be held next year in the same hotel, I'm a little more familiar with the surroundings but I'm pretty sure I'm still missing out on some good 'Canadian style' eats.

I love the fact that everything was pretty close together...the hotel rooms are right there...! The pool with the water slides...come on! I loved that. I'm all for next year in this hotel.

As a Botcon goer for the last 8 consecutive years I have to say that you guys ran a hell of a convention. The lines were not long, things were running smoothly (I can't stand Botcon's long lines). Don't get me wrong, I love Botcon...it just feels like it has gotten too big. I definitely had more fun interacting with you guys and even got to participate in some games, which is something I really haven't had a chance to do at Botcon.

yah, we don't want to drop events just for lunch. However, there was a lighter period between 1-2pm on Saturday for this.

Info on local restaurants and tourist areas? Yah, we can look into this. If anything, we could post a thread on the forum with web links.

Ever play 'Marco Polo' in the pool? We played the Transformers version "Sea-Spray!" before. Feel free to do so next year! :)

TFcon is growing, but the fun and interaction is something we are keeping a focus on. Glad to see you enjoyed it! :)

Ninjatron
04-30-2009, 10:57 PM
From my experience this year I can say that the How to Draw panel could be an extra half hour longer. Things worked out OK but of course I would have liked to have stayed to the very end. Since the Customizing workshop also ran long, it seems that the rule of thumb would be that any kind of interactive, how-to, audience participation panel that isn't just a presentation with Q&A should be longer than the average panel.

No matter how many times I do it, I always find it hard to draw on a large sheet in front of everyone. It never quite looks like it should. Next year I would like to use the projector more for the actual drawing part and maybe have the easels to illustrate certain other points instead of doing the whole thing on the easels. Plus, I was told that the Optimus Prime standee was going to be available to the class for reference, but it wasn't there at all. We had to improvise and use the projector with a laptop, but that's what I would have wanted in the first place, and had we just planned for that instead things would have been a lot different.

If I can be guaranteed use of a projector next year, I will put together the best drawing class in the history of the universe, and aside from paper and pencils, no one else will have to worry about doing a thing. Just leave it to me.

Still, it was the first year running it and everyone seemed really happy with it, so I'm happy to. I'll strive to make it even better next year.

Sayonara.

Dark Rage
05-01-2009, 01:26 AM
Anyone want to do a Transformers Puzzle competition?

We grab 4 or 5 TF figures (not rare or expensive of course), take them apart (all screws are left in), make a pile and have contestants build up the bots as fast as they can.

No theft of transformers parts of course, and I'm talking to you, you customizers! lol

CobraCommander
05-01-2009, 12:12 PM

We grab 4 or 5 TF figures (not rare or expensive of course), take them apart (all screws are left in), make a pile and have contestants build up the bots as fast as they can.

No theft of transformers parts of course, and I'm talking to you, you customizers! lol

Not bad idea, something similar, maybe get some KO devs and see who can TF from botmode to combined mode the fastest.

Aernaroth
05-01-2009, 02:08 PM

Ive always wanted to try a customizer "TF Junkyard wars" where the group of customizers are given a time limit and a bucket of parts and have to solve a task like "Make a devcon figure" or "Make a new character with function: ______" or something.

Nightscrabbler
05-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Yeah, that sounds cool. Reminds me of those competitions where we'd get a bunch of toothpicks and have to make the best tower or paper to make an airplane. That was always fun.

CobraCommander
05-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Ive always wanted to try a customizer "TF Junkyard wars" where the group of customizers are given a time limit and a bucket of parts and have to solve a task like "Make a devcon figure" or "Make a new character with function: ______" or something.

Hey, how about make Autobot Spike!

Dark Rage
05-01-2009, 09:51 PM

We need to do this outside or somewhere with much better ventilation. I got a bit dizzy helping dak clean up the customs panel, even though the sealant was odorless, the paints were not.

Stormrave
05-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Outside would have totally sucked circa, oh, 5 pm Saturday night...

If you go for outside, do it early in the con so there can be a "rain date" if we get another of those storms.

Solscud007
05-01-2009, 11:52 PM
let me report back on how Botcon does their customization class, as I am taking it this year. I checked out the class last year but didnt stay the whole time. Im not sure what they use for paints.

dak
05-02-2009, 11:21 AM
be our spy ;) lol.

Bruticus82
05-07-2009, 01:45 PM
If you're doing the Toys R Us coupons again, don't apply the sticker overtop of the part that describes the coupon terms/conditions/expiry date. It makes it really hard for people to understand that it's a coupon, and what the terms of the coupon are.

I had to explain to the cashier twice what it was, and she had to go check with her manager.

Mike
05-08-2009, 10:21 PM
how about a transformers related gaming area, like Transformers Risk, or the Animated board game, and the other board games they made of transformers set up, so guests can play

Protoman
05-09-2009, 12:13 AM
how about a transformers related gaming area, like Transformers Risk, or the Animated board game, and the other board games they made of transformers set up, so guests can play

We use to do that every friday, last year we even had the Transformers DS game battle for the allspark. But this year was SOOO busy that none of that happened.