PDA

View Full Version : Public Transportation to TFcon 2010

Nightscrabbler
04-25-2007, 11:05 AM
Often we get questions about public transport to the convention at the Doubletree hotel. We're particularly referring to buses here. The closest subway station is Kipling and that still requires you to take a bus to get to the hotel.

First of all, it's critical to keep in mind public transit is always changing and affected by all kinds of delays. And while I will try to explain this as best I can, it's also possible for me to make mistakes. Last year, on Friday, I did take a Mississauga bus to get to the convention without any problems, but no Mississauga Transit routes pass right by the hotel, so when I got off I still had to walk for 15 minutes.

Here are the main resources you will want to look at:
www.toronto.ca/ttc/

www.mississaugatransit.com
905-615-4636
905-615-4287

You should consult these resources yourself, the following tips are just suggestions so you know what to look for. Toronto TFcon takes no responsibility if anyone gets lost, but we are here to help.

Remember that the address of the Doubletree International Plaza Hotel Toronto Airport is 655 Dixon Road (Toronto, ON, M9W 1J3).

Friday, Saturday and Sunday service times are DIFFERENT.
The only Mississauga Transit route I know of that goes close to the convention is route 7 'Airport'. It reaches the corner of Carlingview and Dixon, which is where you would get off the bus. After that, the bus proceeds in the other direction along Dixon towards the airport. Then you'd have to walk eastward along Dixon Road over the highway (27) to the Doubletree. If you'd rather not walk, you can catch a TTC bus to take you the rest of the way, but you have to pay another fare. Go to www.mississaugatransit.com if you wish to see the route for bus 7 'Airport', which departs from Square One's City Centre Transit Terminal. This bus runs on both Friday, Saturday and Sonday.

With the TTC, the bus route which passes right by is route 58. This bus reaches from Westwood Mall, past the airport along Dixon Road, right by the hotel, all the way to Lawrence West subway station in Toronto. This bus runs both Friday and Saturday (and Mon-Thu) at about half-hour intervals. To see the route and schedule, visit http://www.toronto.ca/ttc/schedules/index.htm and choose route 58 Malton W (click Go). Click on the Dixon at Attwell link on the left side to view times. You may still have a little walking to do depending on where the bus stops precisely. There are other TTC bus routes that approach the hotel, but many of these only run during weekday rush hour, you should see their website for details.

As for the GO bus from outside the city...

If you look here (http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/schedule/pubsched.aspx?table=34&direction=1&day=6&page=1&new=)
You'll see the schedule for the Brampton Local, Hwy 27, and Hwy 427 GO Bus service.
You can choose your day of the week there (Weekdays or Saturday) and direction of travel
Some of the major stops include Brampton Bus terminal, the Airport, as well as thee Yorkdale bus terminal and Finch bus terminal.
This route goes down Dixon Road and it gives you arrival times for Dixon Road and Martin Grove, which is close to the Doubletree where the convention is.

TTC Bus #192 (Airport Rocket) runs from Kipling subway station to Pearson Airport (Terminals #3 and #1, in that order) from 5:30 AM - 2:00 AM every day. There are only two other stops aside from the terminals along the route. Total travel time from Kipling to Pearson is about 20 minutes. If you're getting off the subway and on to that bus at Kipling, remember to ask for a transfer slip. Once you get to Terminal 1, just jump onto the DoubleTree courtesy minibus and it's only another 2 minutes or so until you're at the front door of the hotel.

For those of you traveling from further away, from cities such as Montreal, consider CoachCanada. www.coachcanada.com (http://www.coachcanada.com). They frequently have promotions and low rates, but their seats sell out fast. Word is that the cheapest tickets are for midweek travel.

If you have any more specific questions about planning a trip, feel free to ask here or follow those links where they have complete maps and schedules.

Raith
04-26-2007, 05:19 AM
Hi I was wondering if you could tell me exactly how to get from Kipling Station to the convention and back. Which bus do I take? I kind of just migrated a month ago and just found out about the convention today. I really want to go but I'm still a total blur with the transport and locations, and I don't know anyone around that can come rescue me if I get lost so it's really freaky but I am determined to go! Erm... with your help that is... *prays he gets a reply before the convention* I don't suppose we can meet up or something along the way?

Nightscrabbler
04-26-2007, 09:53 AM
Oh, I'm not taking public transport this year, but I'll be happy to help you find your way. And since you're new, I'll PM you my cell number just in case.

From Kipling station, there are two good TTC bus routes. You can take the 45 Kipling North or 46 Martin Grove North, and either of them will get you to Dixon Road. If you take the 46, you can get off at Dixon and Martin Grove. If you take the 45, you can get off at Dixon and Kipling. Either way, you'll either need to walk westward (the distance would be shorter from Martin Grove i.e. via bus 46) or take the bus 58 Dixon West until you see the Doubletree (which would be quick).

As you may have guessed, the way back to Kipling station is just the reverse. You'd get back to the corner of Martin Grove and Dixon to take the 46 Martin Grove SOUTH, or go to the corner of Kipling and Dixon to take the 45 Kipling SOUTH.

Both of these buses run on Friday and Saturday, but the 45 Kipling bus is less frequent.

Follow me? Let me know if it makes sense to you. Please ask if you have more questions.

Sunstar
04-27-2007, 12:22 AM
anyone can tellme roughly how long it is to take teh

Hamilton/burlington go to Union, transfer to subway going to downsview getting off at lawerence west and taking the 58 bus. How long is that trip overall?

btw I am in the middle of a computer crash.

Raith
04-27-2007, 03:44 AM
Hey Shan, thank you so much for your help! Thanks to you I should be able to get there now. I'm going to go with the 46 Martin Grove bus like you suggested, only thing I'm worried about is missing my stop since this will be my first time there. I will ask the bus driver to let me know when we get to Dixon Rd but incase he forgets to is there anything I should look out for so I'll know when to ring the bell and get off? Thanks again.

Nightscrabbler
04-27-2007, 09:31 AM
I can't think of any landmarks, but it's a fairly major street and the major street that crosses Martin Grove before it is Eglinton Avenue. So, once you pass Eglinton, keep your eyes peeled. Also, I believe the big highway, the 401, crosses over Martin Grove on a bridge, immediately before Dixon Road. So as soon as you go past that you should request a stop.

Nightscrabbler
04-27-2007, 09:38 AM
anyone can tellme roughly how long it is to take teh

Hamilton/burlington go to Union, transfer to subway going to downsview getting off at lawerence west and taking the 58 bus. How long is that trip overall?

btw I am in the middle of a computer crash.

Getting to Union by GO bus I'd give a good 60-90 minutes due to traffic. The 58 Bus is a long route... I would suggest taking the subway from Kipling station and then taking the 46 Martin Grove North bus instead. But with your route I'd guess the whole process would take 2.5 hours, but I am just guessing, I've never taken the Hamilton bus myself, nor the 58, so you might want a second opinion.

Ondoher Prime
04-27-2007, 09:44 AM
i took the hamilton qew go-union-58 route twice these past two years.

took me roughly 2-2 1/4 hours. i started off early from hamilton: took the ones before 7 to avoid traffic. subway's no problem. the 58 bus starts off slow 'coz of a number of passengers getting on and off, but once it reaches dixon road, the trip gets faster.

as for landmarks, you will definitley see the doubletree building from afar with its logo on top. coming from the east, look for the building at your left side.

Sunstar
04-27-2007, 12:00 PM
I tend to get travel sick on buses, lets hope I keep my tanks down

dak
04-27-2007, 12:12 PM
if you take the go bus to burlington, then transfer to the Go train, it could cut down your time. Oakville go to union by train is about 40 min

Sunstar
04-27-2007, 02:28 PM
I live in burlington so I will take a city to go-station then train out to union... I will be leaving in about 45 mins

RavageX-9
04-30-2007, 02:23 AM
Getting to Union by GO bus I'd give a good 60-90 minutes due to traffic. The 58 Bus is a long route... I would suggest taking the subway from Kipling station and then taking the 46 Martin Grove North bus instead. But with your route I'd guess the whole process would take 2.5 hours, but I am just guessing, I've never taken the Hamilton bus myself, nor the 58, so you might want a second opinion.
Yeah. I took the 58 on my way back to compare, since I took the 46 there, and the 46 both ways last year.
Now, I took the 58 on a Sunday when there was no traffic. It took about the same amount of time (45 minutes) to get to the subway stop for Greyhound, but if there had been traffic I'm sure it would have taken longer. It's also dependant on how many people request stops. A longer bus route means more possibilities of delays.
It was something like 30m by bus and 15 by subway, as opposed to the Kipling route which was 15m by bus and 30 by subway with a transfer between subway routes downtown.

Also, if you have a bus leaving at 6:45am... you're screwed unless you leave early and wait at the Greyhound terminal. :) the subway doesn't run between like 2am and 8:45am. I think there might be some kind of 24-hour bus running. the hotel clerk mentioned I had to get all the way to Jane St. first to pick it up though. so a cab there, then a bus down to ... some other major street to a second bus, I think. so... I decided to catch the bus the next day instead.

Protoman
04-30-2007, 02:25 AM
Atleast you made it back safely Ravage and hey, you got to stay in my hotel room for free a extra night =P

Nightscrabbler
06-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Also, if you have a bus leaving at 6:45am... you're screwed unless you leave early and wait at the Greyhound terminal. :) the subway doesn't run between like 2am and 8:45am. I think there might be some kind of 24-hour bus running. the hotel clerk mentioned I had to get all the way to Jane St. first to pick it up though. so a cab there, then a bus down to ... some other major street to a second bus, I think. so... I decided to catch the bus the next day instead.

According to the TTC website, the subway runs starting at 6:00 am on weekdays and Saturday, so this shouldn't be a problem for TFconners.

Nightscrabbler
06-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Note that from Kipling station, the westernmost subway station, route 45 goes up to Dixon Road.

Jetfire Maximus
06-12-2008, 11:25 AM
TTC Bus #192 (Airport Rocket) runs from Kipling subway station to Pearson airport (Terminals #3 and #1, in that order) from 5:30 AM - 2:00 AM every day. There are only two other stops aside from the terminals along the route. Total travel time from Kipling to Pearson is about 20 mins. If you're getting off the subway and on to that bus at Kipling, remember to ask for a transfer slip. Once you get to Terminal 1, just jump onto the Doubletree courtesy minibus and it's only another 2 minutes or so until you're at the front door of the hotel.

soundwaveCA
06-13-2008, 01:26 PM
Take the subway to Kipling station, take the 46 Martin Grove Bus to Dixon, from there it's a 5 min walk West.

For those taking the subway this is definitely the simplest way. I would give yourself plenty of time though as I'm at the Old Mill and it's a 30+ minute trek.

Nightscrabbler
06-13-2008, 03:10 PM
TTC Bus #192 (Airport Rocket) runs from Kipling subway station to Pearson airport (Terminals #3 and #1, in that order) from 5:30 AM - 2:00 AM every day. There are only two other stops aside from the terminals along the route. Total travel time from Kipling to Pearson is about 20 mins. If you're getting off the subway and on to that bus at Kipling, remember to ask for a transfer slip. Once you get to Terminal 1, just jump onto the Doubletree courtesy minibus and it's only another 2 minutes or so until you're at the front door of the hotel.

Very helpful info!

Retread
06-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Very helpful info!

How often does this shuttle run?
There's also a Go bus to the airport from York Mills subway, through Yorkdale, with a couple more stops. Actually, Guess it would be quicker to get off at Dixon and Martin Grove? Is it a comfortable walk from there? Airport Go Bus Schedule (http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/en/schedule/pubsched.aspx?table=34&direction=1&day=6&page=1&new=)

JLvatron
06-14-2008, 05:23 PM

If you miss the shuttle, Please remember to take the opportunity to say in a Springer voice:

"There goes the shuttle!"

Jetfire Maximus
06-15-2008, 06:30 AM
TTC Bus #192 (Airport Rocket) runs from Kipling subway station to Pearson airport (Terminals #3 and #1, in that order) from 5:30 AM - 2:00 AM every day.

See above.

If you miss the shuttle, Please remember to take the opportunity to say in a Springer voice:

"There goes the shuttle!"

QUIET, YOU!

:p

New Brandon
06-15-2008, 10:33 PM
Does anyone have any advice how to get to Kipling from Oakville? Thanks!

Super_Megatron
04-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Bump for this weekend.

Animelee
04-22-2009, 05:33 PM
If anyone lives in Brampton:

Miss. 66/ Miss. 19 -> Miss. 07 -> Walk 15-20 mins or TTC to Doubletree.

EDIT: LOL, I mean Mississauga by Miss.

Nightscrabbler
04-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Well, I would try not to "Miss" any of those buses. ;)

Animelee
04-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Oh you. LOL.

By the way, seriously looking forward to finally meeting you, Shan. Andrew tells me you're a cool guy.

RavageX-9
04-22-2009, 07:07 PM
... what the hell happened to the website? Now you can't look up schedules at all, other than what's happening in the next 15 minutes. The ONLY info for Saturday is at what time busses will arrive at a particular stop, and there's no way to figure out how long it takes for a bus to get from one stop to another.
This is insane. There's no way I'll be able to figure out how to get there for a particular time.

GMfan
04-22-2009, 07:18 PM
May I suggest, oh I dunno calling them?

Nightscrabbler
04-22-2009, 07:19 PM
... what the hell happened to the website? Now you can't look up schedules at all, other than what's happening in the next 15 minutes. The ONLY info for Saturday is at what time busses will arrive at a particular stop, and there's no way to figure out how long it takes for a bus to get from one stop to another.
This is insane. There's no way I'll be able to figure out how to get there for a particular time.

You're right, the TTC website is more difficult in this regard now. You'll probably need to keep two tabs open in your browser and switch between them. If you look at the first bus in the morning and compare two stops you can get an idea of how long it would take in no traffic.

Nightscrabbler
04-22-2009, 07:20 PM
May I suggest, oh I dunno calling them?

He's not local and unfortunately they don't appear to have a toll-free number.

GMfan
04-22-2009, 07:26 PM
If ya want things ya gotta spend

Bruticus82
04-22-2009, 07:37 PM
The TTC, in their recent upgrade, has made it more difficult to do some trip planning, and they should hear that from concerned people, even if only in e-mail complaints. I can't believe they thought removing most of the schedule information would be a good idea.

RavageX-9
04-22-2009, 08:30 PM
The TTC, in their recent upgrade, has made it more difficult to do some trip planning, and they should hear that from concerned people, even if only in e-mail complaints. I can't believe they thought removing most of the schedule information would be a good idea.
I hope it's only temporary, (which might be the case since there's a section that says "Future home of Trip Planner") because that is really unprofessional. I don't even think there's a reason to avoid it just so that no one can complain that the bus takes too long when it runs behind schedule. (they still have schedules for the stops that would be off if that happened)

Ah well... we get there when we get there. I'm not going to wake up at 5am just to get there an hour before registration starts.

Nerroth
04-24-2009, 05:59 PM
I live downtown, so the last times I headed to Doubletree (for both TFCon and Anime North) I got the subway over to Lawrence West (I think) and then took a bus across to the hotel.

Only thing is, I can't quite recall if Lawrence West is the right station, and which number was the bus I got afterwards...

EDIT: and the TTC office to call just closed. Damn.

EDIT 2: I checked with the hotel front desk - if you get the subway to Lawrence West, you can go west on the number 58 Malton bus, and get out at the Harvey's near the 'con.

I think.

Dragon Knight
11-25-2009, 03:35 PM
What's the best way to get to the con from Mississauga?

more specifically, I live around the square 1 area, closest road to me would be Tomken road, I live on Shelby crescent . It's about a 20 minute ride to Kipling Station for me.

Nightscrabbler
11-25-2009, 04:36 PM
From Square One, take bus 7 Airport.

Dragon Knight
11-25-2009, 10:37 PM
From Square One, take bus 7 Airport.

Does it go all the way to the hotel?

Bruticus82
11-25-2009, 10:42 PM
The hotel is on Dixon, just west of Martin Grove. I'm not familiar with the Mississauga routes, but if it gets you there or close, you're probably good.

Nightscrabbler
11-25-2009, 10:54 PM
Dragon Knight:

Friday, Saturday and Sunday service times are DIFFERENT.
The only Mississauga Transit route I know of that goes close to the convention is route 7 'Airport'. It reaches the corner of Carlingview and Dixon, which is where you would get off the bus. After that, the bus proceeds in the other direction along Dixon towards the airport. Then you'd have to walk eastward along Dixon Road over the highway (27) to the Doubletree. If you'd rather not walk, you can catch a TTC bus to take you the rest of the way, but you have to pay another fare. Go to www.mississaugatransit.com if you wish to see the route for bus 7 'Airport', which departs from Square One's City Centre Transit Terminal. This bus runs on Friday and Saturday and Sunday.

Richter
03-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Hey guys,

Just curious, is therre a shuttle from the airport to the doubletree?
Would you guys recommend renting a car? Is there a lot of other fun stuff to do around that requires a drive?

Nightscrabbler
03-06-2010, 11:31 PM
The hotel has a free shuttle, yes.

If you want to see other parts of Toronto, then a car might be useful. But if you only want to see downtown, then you're better off taking public transit, i.e. TTC bus to TTC subway.

Dragon Knight
06-14-2010, 12:36 AM
I notice on the mississauge bus routes that there's a B bus running saturday, and a C bus running sunday. If I happen to take the C Bus, does that change the directions in anyway?

Super_Megatron
07-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Bump for a week+ until the convention.

Zodberg
07-12-2010, 04:51 PM
Son of a....
My ride plan crapped out, so I have no ride and a spare ticket.
Guess this thread is going to be my best friend, unless anybody wants to give me a ride from Oakville in exchange for a bag of delicious nachos?
(Or my spare ticket, but I've figured you all preregistered).

jackalprime
07-12-2010, 05:24 PM
TTC

Take The Car

Zodberg
07-13-2010, 01:21 AM
I do not have a car. Or else I wouldn't have this concern.
I have a bike that can get me to a GO Station.

But come on, Nachos.....

Dark Rage
07-13-2010, 01:44 AM
Google maps also has Public Transit directions.

pulsedragon20
07-13-2010, 02:45 AM
you can always rent a car or ask another member to give you a ride. Also, you can take the GO trains and TTC

Zodberg
07-13-2010, 03:50 AM
GO Train/TTC combo is my back-up plan if nobody else here is able to give me a ride.

Bruticus82
07-13-2010, 08:31 AM
I'm taking Go Train from Hamilton to York U, then TTC from York U to the hotel.

Malwave
07-13-2010, 08:39 AM
The hotel has a free shuttle, yes.

If you want to see other parts of Toronto, then a car might be useful. But if you only want to see downtown, then you're better off taking public transit, i.e. TTC bus to TTC subway.

where does this hotel shuttle leave from? Is it Kipling Station?

that part of the trip is the only part I'm having trouble with. :p

Nightscrabbler
07-13-2010, 09:18 AM
I think the hotel shuttle just goes from the hotel to the airport and back. But you'd have to contact the hotel to be sure.

Super_Megatron
07-13-2010, 09:21 AM
The hotel shuttle takes people to and from the airport. No where else.

Malwave
07-13-2010, 09:34 AM
hmm; looks like I'm catching the TTC

*shrugs* eh well; need the exercise :p

and I get off the bus at...Dixon Road right?

jrmyolvr
07-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Anyone going to TFCon from Brampton via Go Bus on Saturday or Sunday? Let me know and maybe we can hook up and travel together and hang out at the Con :)

(I will probably be volunteering on staff during some times both days - still waiting to hear back about this)

Malwave
07-13-2010, 10:49 PM
Okay, I got a question;

is there anyone waiting at Kipling to drive a friend to the con? If so, could I hitch a ride? might save me some bus fare :p

Dragon Knight
07-14-2010, 09:17 PM
I notice on the mississauge bus routes that there's a B bus running saturday, and a C bus running sunday. If I happen to take the C Bus, does that change the directions in anyway?

Haven't really gotten an answer to this question yet....

Nightscrabbler
07-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Which route are you referring to?
I am not sure about the B and C routes. Best to call Mississauga Transit and ask.

Dragon Knight
07-14-2010, 09:43 PM
Which route are you referring to?
I am not sure about the B and C routes. Best to call Mississauga Transit and ask.

Route 7.

Nightscrabbler
07-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Okay. Yeah, it makes no difference. On Sunday the route is a little different than Saturday, but they both get to the same place.

BruticusMax
07-15-2010, 02:14 PM
this is what igot from the double tree guys:

From Kipling - catch 46 Martin Groove bus - Get off at Dixon Rd
That's martin Groove & Dixon - Walk to destination in 10 minutes.

anyone wanna confirm this? am i going to the right place?

Uberman
07-15-2010, 02:34 PM
this is what igot from the double tree guys:

From Kipling - catch 46 Martin Groove bus - Get off at Dixon Rd
That's martin Groove & Dixon - Walk to destination in 10 minutes.

anyone wanna confirm this? am i going to the right place?

Is this Saturday or Sunday?

BruticusMax
07-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Is this Saturday or Sunday?

its sunday saturday the same bus runs but sunday will be slower

Nightscrabbler
07-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Yes, that route works.

BruticusMax
07-15-2010, 03:32 PM
thanks =]

Dragon Knight
08-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Bumping this thread, because I need to know how to take the bus to the new location...

Super_Megatron
08-26-2010, 10:26 PM
A new thread will be created in the near future. Thanks.