PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Monopoly money...conversion ?

armedonlsd
04-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Traveling up from the states and wondering whats the best way to pay. Planning on using mostly debit card except in the dealer room and to pay registration. Whats the best way to pay, with us dollars or converting to Canadian? will most things be priced in both?

also will i be charged when converting the bills

thanks totally clueless here and I haven't been to Canada except for a Phish show

Aernaroth
04-16-2009, 05:21 PM
Go to your bank beforehand and say "Hey, I'd like to make a withdrawl in Canadian dollars". Its better than using one of the currency exchange places that will likely charge you more.

The vast majority of items will be priced in Canadian dollars only, so paying in our wacky coloured money while you're here makes it easier for everyone involved.

Big Filipino
04-16-2009, 05:27 PM
It's been my experience that you will get a better exchange rate if you convert your USD to Canadian once you are in Canada. Either bring USD and go to a teller or just use your bank card in Canada.

Beechy
04-17-2009, 03:48 AM
I thought someone was setting up a monopoly after Con hours.....

Stormrave
04-17-2009, 01:39 PM
I checked the exchange rate this morning and roughly speaking, every Canadian dollar is worth about 80 cents US right now. So...

Things at the show are priced in Canadian dollars.

As a rule of thumb, $5 Canadian is worth a little less than $4 US

So if someone wants $20 Canadian for something, that's like getting it for $14-15 US at home.

Having these guidelines in mind will help you figure out whether a price is a good deal or a rip off, and let you know just how much you're spending in 'your money.' :)

A bank will give you a better rate than a cash conversion place. As for a Canadian bank vs a US bank...

If you use a US bank card in a Canadian bank machine to get money, you will probably be charged a fee, which will vary according to the machine/bank. When I get US money, I prefer to go to my own bank, who does it for me for free. But they like a week's notice to make sure they have the cash in stock for me.

I'm not sure if a Canadian bank will do it for you better than a US bank--particularly if you're not a customer, then there might be a charge.

And you also have to factor in your ability to search for a bank once you're in Canada. That's easy if you're driving, not so easy if you're flying, since I don't remember any banks near the con hotel--you'd probably have to take a taxi or the bus to get there which would cost money and time.

I would think it would be easier to just convert some before you go and then use a bank machine if more is needed (hint, the one in the con hotel runs out of money fast.)

armedonlsd
04-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Thanks alot guys. Great information Stormrave! I'm betting the best thing for me to do is exchange here for Canadian dollars.

Aernaroth
04-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Thanks alot guys. Great information Stormrave! I'm betting the best thing for me to do is exchange here for Canadian dollars.

Its probably easier, cheaper, and saves you one more thing you'd have to do on your vacation time. I would also advise getting more than you think you need, rather than less, in order to cover unforseen costs. You can always switch it back later, right?

JLvatron
04-17-2009, 02:00 PM
I'd recommend doing so in the US. Might make a slight difference in service charges (up or down) but it's easier to do it at home.

I'm sure most dealers would accept US cash, but you'd prolly not get a good exchange rate, as they'll do fast math, then round up
... alot, just to be safe.