PDA

View Full Version : Fourth Custom: TFA Gears

Zim
03-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Hi folks,

As promised, here's the next custom I did. It's a TFA version of Gears using TFA Soundwave as a base. He has tires from Sentinel Prime and a head from TFA Snarl.

I'm not totally happy with this paint job. I tried Krylon Fusion as a base paint, but it doesn't bond with the Citadel colours I used, so it keeps chipping and the paint wrinkles too. The model also doesn't fit together as tight as is should.

The concept was solid, but the execution didn't work out as well as I had hoped. Maybe that's just Gears' pessimism filtering through to me. :)

chans formers
03-20-2009, 10:56 AM
that's still a phenominal job!!great idea!!i just may have to try this one too!!slag/snarl's head fits pretty good too!!!

jonnycon
03-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Nice job, good colour distribution in vehicle mode.

UltraPrimal
03-20-2009, 11:22 AM
I like how having the back part orange and the rest blue, makes him look like a pick-up truck with one of those bed covers. Helps separate him from Soundwave.

Nocturn
03-20-2009, 11:34 AM
That's really nice, chief.

Robimus
03-20-2009, 01:22 PM
I love it, that Bot has a lot of character :)

Zim, how long did you leave the Krylon to dry before you started on the detailing?

I haven't had a problem with Krylon chipping at all when I leave the base coats sit for about a week to bond with the plastic before continuing.

Great job none the less. He's the perfect TFA update of Gears.

Zim
03-20-2009, 01:46 PM
It wasn't the Krylon coming off, it's the citadel colour not bonding with the Krylon.

Krylon...that's like a frozen Cylon, isn't it? :P