PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on exchange rates

Solscud007
03-03-2009, 06:04 PM
So my question is, for those of us that live in the US, we have the benefit of the USD being a little bit stronger at the present moment. So should we send $150 USD for the pre-reg? or something a little less since the price is $150 CND.

Phalanx
03-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Not sure how the US system works, but here you can request that a money order be filled out for a given currency. So the money order would be filled out at $150 CDN, and you would just pay wahatever the going exchange rate is for the money order. May be the least confusing option, if available?

Protoman
03-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Best bet, exchange your big america bucks into canadian on your side on the border beforehand for better rates and ease at the dealer room, (we all do the same concept for Botcon)

Aernaroth
03-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Once you get used to our wacky multicoloured money and two dollar coins, youll wonder how you ever did without them.

General Tekno
03-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Once you get used to our wacky multicoloured money and two dollar coins, youll wonder how you ever did without them.

Yeah. I like Loonies and Toonies FAR more than bills.

Bruticus82
03-03-2009, 07:53 PM
With regards to the actual conversion, as of today's rate it'll cost you about $120 US (including the 4% the exchange rate people keep).

Oasis
03-03-2009, 09:49 PM
What I have learned is to not exchange your money at all, but to use the ATMs provided in the country. Yes, you pay a fee, but it is a fairer rate than ANY border exchange rate. And use your credit card whenever you can.

Sideswipe
03-04-2009, 08:45 AM
What I have learned is to not exchange your money at all, but to use the ATMs provided in the country. Yes, you pay a fee, but it is a fairer rate than ANY border exchange rate. And use your credit card whenever you can.

Word of warning: The atm in the lobby drains UBER FAST at the con, so if you can pull money ahead of time, I suggest doing so.

onecoin
03-04-2009, 08:59 AM
I heard that happened at the MBCC. Apparently, there was no bank machine with money in it for like a 5 block radius.

Aernaroth
03-04-2009, 10:31 PM
I heard that happened at the MBCC. Apparently, there was no bank machine with money in it for like a 5 block radius.

Yeah, between the line that'll be there and the supply and the fees, transfer a bunch of cash at a bank a few days before you come, and it'll save you some hassle.

I'm pretty sure the pre-reg is in CDN, not USD. Though I'm sure if you sent it in USD, they wouldn't mind. :P

GMfan
03-04-2009, 10:34 PM
We tend to make sure the ATM in the Doubletree is filled before the start of the show but there are other ATMs across the street and banks within a short driving distance

General Tekno
03-04-2009, 10:48 PM
I'd definitely suggest doing your withdrawals before the show.

Myself, I did one the night before and the morning of.