PDA

View Full Version : New Transformers Deluxe Price For Wal*Mart

Super_Megatron
01-30-2009, 02:40 PM
New Transformers Deluxe Price For Wal*Mart (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/other-news-20/new-transformers-deluxe-price-for-walmart-166707/)

Category: Other News

Posted From: TFW2005.COM (http://www.tfw2005.com) - Transformers (http://www.tfw2005.com)

Bruticus82
01-30-2009, 02:56 PM
I have to say, I'm confused by the timing of this price increase. Given the economic situation (economic contraction, predicted deflation, low sales), the fact that oil prices are much lower than last year (so transportation, petrochemicals used to manufacture plastics, etc. are all lower), I would expect prices to be going down, not up...

GMfan
01-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Must be something to do with increased toy safety regulations...on a side note if ours don't go up at least we're on par with the US figures now :P

JSon
01-30-2009, 03:18 PM
..on a side note if ours don't go up at least we're on par with the US figures now :P

Exactly my first thoughts. Now they almost know what it's like to be us!

QuadESL63
01-30-2009, 04:41 PM
Because the US dollar is not as strong as it used to be? Or, the added quality control + safety regulations after the lead paint, etc. fiasco made things more expensive to import?

BTW, you don't want things go way cheaper across the board, i.e. you don't want a deflation. I'd rather have a stable pricing w/ jobs than bargains everywhere w/o jobs.

tusko
01-30-2009, 05:30 PM
"Transformers for some, but not for others."
That is the platform I'll run on.

Cash grab. But I don't see these effects in my local stores anyway.

Pascal
01-30-2009, 05:40 PM
Poor Americans. I think I will pray for them tonight.

onecoin
01-30-2009, 05:57 PM
It took me a while to figure this one out. First there is a recession and people with less disposable income. Then there is a a decrease in fuel and oil costs. There is also standard price increases that have to be considered. In the end though it is as simple as it could be. which is always the best economic policy.

Toys are not an essential, unlike food, demand will decrease. That is a certainty. With all toys there will always be a base demand from people who will be them regardless the price, like parents with spoiled kids and us. The chances that a borderline purchase will be made will of course decrease. Not because of price because of disposable income. So that come out of the equation.

And it becomes clear. Less demand + produce less units + development cost remains the same = increase in price. As basic as it could be.

It becomes more apparent, when you think that Christmas is as far away as possible.

jacobot
01-30-2009, 06:21 PM
CNN Headline: Free-spending rescue plan could spur Hyper-Inflation

Robimus
01-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Hopefully ours remains the same.:confused:

Omega.Prime
01-30-2009, 07:15 PM
This comes right on time for the new movie toys coming up too... Great marketing move, this gives customers a few months to mull the price increase over and forget about it once the new toys hit. That's a pretty big cash grab for them since they know the movie figures did so well. Cha-ching!

Team Jetfire
01-31-2009, 06:06 PM
This has been coming for a while. The price increase has very little to do with the current market conditions, but more a result of PAST Oil prices and increases in production and shipping costs.

From what I understand Hasbro sets a MSRP and from there, the individual retailers can set the price. Because Wal-Mart is so huge, they likely can buy each figure for cheaper then the other stores and could have passed any saving on to the customers.

But, given that in the past few years the cost of production went up, it could stand to reason that Either Hasbro has to increase the MSRP, or Wal-Mart had to increase the prices to recoup on slowing sales...

Besides WTF are the Americans complaining about? They have paid 7 bucks for these things for the last 6 months... :(

Whisky Tango Foxtrot
01-31-2009, 07:25 PM
Thing is, up till now Deluxes had been the same price since Beast Wars. They were due for a hike.

Hopefully now Hasbro'll be able to afford some decent QC.

onecoin
02-01-2009, 04:14 AM
QC? If you want decent QC they'll have to move the plants out of China. I doubt an employee paid 8 bucks to paint 10000 pieces a day gives a shit.

QuadESL63
02-01-2009, 08:44 AM
QC? If you want decent QC they'll have to move the plants out of China. I doubt an employee paid 8 bucks to paint 10000 pieces a day gives a shit.

It has everything to do with price point because good QC cost money. Although in this case I highly doubt that a raise in a few bucks will do anything to improve the quality.

CobraCommander
02-01-2009, 01:33 PM
My guess on the Marketing approach taken...

1) Profit on higher demand lower volume
Jack up the prices to sell at a higher price point for the initial release of toys to coincide with the new movie in hopes that desperate fans/spoiled kids will buy early with less product on the shelves.

2) Profit on higher volume lower price
After the rush, let's say 2/3 months after the movie, drop the prices to cater to the volume market.