PDA

View Full Version : panel lining 123

chans formers
12-09-2008, 09:11 PM
hi guys.i recieved a few pms asking how to do panel lining.(if this is the wrong spot to post this i totally apologize,if it needs to be moved i totally understand.)
please keep in mind this is just a basic tutorial on how to do it.theres also many ways of doing panel lining but i'm only going to describe how i do it.here goes...

wash your "donor"figure in sunlight dish soap and let him dry completely.(the last thing you want is greasy prints or mold release agents in the cracks that you want to line)
most figures have recessed lines on it somewhere and thats where you want to run the gundam marker through.start from one end of the recessed area and go in one direction only.you can go back on the same line area again but usually it ends up thickening the line.
if and when you skip/jump out of the line,have a small rag or paper towel nearby thats slightly damp.if you have to fix a mistake,always rub/wipe off "against"the line.if not,you'll end up wiping out more of the paint thats in the line,which usually results in a big black smudge.worst case scenario,use the rag and some isopropyl alcohol and wipe the whole area clean and start again.
as you do the lining,you should start to feel how heavy or light you want to press down on the marker.the lighter you press,the lighter of a line you get and vice versa.
theres also a happy medium between too little and too much panel lining.too much and it looks "cluttered".to little and it will look like your bots missing something.ive included pics of 2 mcdonalds bb's,one thats been lined and one without.ultimately in the end,if you're happy with the results than thats all that matters.(different folks,different strokes)
i found that with the fine tipped gundam markers you can clear coat the bot after but make sure you apply the clear in ultra light mist coats,otherwise if you pound on too much clear at once it ends up "bleeding" the lines you just spent so much time working on.
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj172/chansformers/1007.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj172/chansformers/1008-2.jpg
also,try not to stop in the middle of a line or you will end up getting "dots"thicker than the lines you're doing.
"please remember,this is a really basic how to tutorial just for panel lining with a gundam marker.":)

niteowl
12-09-2008, 09:42 PM
before i go permanent,
i use a gundam lead panel liner,
its just a branded mechanical pencil.
sometimes i even just leave it,
instead of choosing to ink.

Bruticus82
12-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the tutorial Chans!

I have a question, is there much difference between panel lining with a gundam marker and using a paint "wash" technique so that the paint accumulates in the nooks? I mean obviously different techniques, and slightly different consistency etc. But they're done for the same purpose, right? To add depth by getting the details to pop?

chans formers
12-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the tutorial Chans!

I have a question, is there much difference between panel lining with a gundam marker and using a paint "wash" technique so that the paint accumulates in the nooks? I mean obviously different techniques, and slightly different consistency etc. But they're done for the same purpose, right? To add depth by getting the details to pop?
i tried the "wash" method but for myself,i found that i ended up with a bot that was more "dirty/gritty" than i wanted.its good if you're going for either battle damage or a more "worn" overall look to it whereas with a gundam pen,it stays pretty clean except for details.there are those who stand by the wash method and can do it so it stays clean and detailed but thats not me.i prefer the gundam pen all the way.that and(imo) i find its just less messy and my hands dont go all black.the end goal of both methods is pretty much like you said,"to make the details in the mold pop out".:)

snowtech
12-09-2008, 11:56 PM
thanks for the tutorials chans

Cliffjumper69
12-10-2008, 02:01 AM
Thanks Chans!!!!! :D

CJ

dak
12-10-2008, 07:45 AM
great tutorial! I'm going to add this to the archive.

J.Soundwave
12-14-2008, 09:04 AM
Very cool, thanks!

zuffyprime
12-14-2008, 12:05 PM
chans, great tutorial bro...
by the way, love the tazmanian devil toothbrush...lol

was wondering if you guys could videotape the customizing process, and put it up on youtube.

I have parts, I have paint, i even have the freakin airbrush, but I'm soooo scared I'm going to mess up my toy, I've been sitting on projects for years.

A step by step video would really help,
thanks!
zp:D (that goes for you too dak, and np):D

DECEPTICON_BRAWL
03-17-2009, 07:40 AM
where do i get a "gundum marker"

chans formers
03-17-2009, 10:35 AM
usually i snag mine from hobby stores.it's a pretty safe bet that if they have the gundam model kits,they should have the markers too.

DECEPTICON_BRAWL
03-17-2009, 10:53 AM
usually i snag mine from hobby stores.it's a pretty safe bet that if they have the gundam model kits,they should have the markers too.

whats a hobby store?