PDA

View Full Version : Universe Onslaught--KO Combaticons Unite!!

Prime Roller
10-06-2008, 01:11 AM
This is only the initial stages of a work in progress. I'm posting early on because it's my first kitbash project and I'm looking forward to hearing any feedback.

So here's the lowdown. I don't want to damage/change my nice new Universe Onslaught toy. So It will remain totally unaltered. And as I just so happen to have the 4 other combaticons in oversized KO form from China... well obviously I was nothing less than forced to get into the project of combining them.

It's going to be a HUGE figure when I'm done.
The head, hands, feet, and chest have all not been finalized. I just stuck anything there for now.

What I've been spending my time on is making detachable joints for the knees and shoulders. Using some Bionicle ball joints and other scrap I got from a thrift store.
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/New%20User/Desktop/Pics/TF%20project/P9102649.JPGfile:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/New%20User/Desktop/Pics/TF%20project/P9102649.JPGfile:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/New%20User/Desktop/Pics/TF%20project/P9102649.JPG

astrana
10-06-2008, 01:15 AM
nice nice... looking forward to see the finished project

have u considered use Universe 2.0, tankor and galvatron for one arm and leg??

Metrotitan
10-06-2008, 01:41 AM
Awesome Prime Roller! Glad u finally got some pics up!

frenzy_rumble
10-06-2008, 01:56 AM
this looks pretty sweet. I've got 2 Bruticus's on the work table & if you don't mind, I have some feedback...

-The face isn't Bruticus, it's too "happy" looking
-All the bots being used need better articulation. they look very G1ish especially next to the "revamped" Onslaught.
-bigger hands! try some Unicron or Primus hands...articulated hands will make him come alive.

other than those minor points, this is looking quite promising! good luck and PM me if you need any combining pointers.

down_shift
10-06-2008, 06:50 AM
It's a good start man, but as f_r said, he needs more to "pop".

BTW, f_r that Grimlock looks magnificent. Well done.

Nocturn
10-06-2008, 09:55 AM
This is simultaneously loltacular and epic win.

Prime Roller
10-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Yeah, like f.r. says. The face is just a temporary one that needs to be changed (I sat a KO Doubledealer face on it just to show the eventual placement of the real head). (I might have some questions for you guys later on how to approach molding the new head).

And the hands are just temporary too. I'm actually thinking of building some! As well as scratch building some feet.

Articulation will be nice. But first is the basic combining. I have that all figured out and underway (and my Onslaught toy will not be altered of damaged in any way!). I plan to eventually add articulation to the crappy G1 blocks (they look even blockier because they are over-sized).

So, extras like articulation, and gadgets will be worked on later... I'll keep you posted. (new pics of the shoulder and knee joints will be added this evening).

Bruticus82
10-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Well it sounds like you have a great plan so far, and I know the customizing community here will be more than willing to help you every step of the way.

I eagerly await the final product!

Prime Roller
10-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Thanks all of you. I'm sure I will be coming to you guys for help. Especially when I get into molding and painting!

I'm going to be needing to make a chest plate, a head, hands and some feet! Any thoughts on what would look good? I'm liking the very G1 look next to the modern Universe look. Old and new together look sweet. (but the G1 hands were lame -- do I really want to cut the hands off Primus or Unicron? The thoughts of doing that hurts me inside.)

Tech Spec
10-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Looking real good man! Can't wait to see more.

Nemesis Predaking
10-06-2008, 05:20 PM
This has epic all over it.
I'll be watching this one.

Terrorcon_King
10-06-2008, 09:12 PM
the KO Combaticons are HUGE!! lol

chans formers
10-06-2008, 10:01 PM
you got an awesome start to something great there!!!keep it up!!!btw,where did you get those ko combaticons?asian market?i love how big they are.you should try to articulate them since theres so much more room inside of them than the standard scramble city type combiner.looking good either way!!!

Prime Roller
10-15-2008, 12:34 AM
I got the KOs in a market near Houhai in Beijing. Lady promised to get me an Onslaught one too, but.... well, I should've known better. But now, with me having Universe Onslaught and four oversized Combaticons (they're about Deluxe size), I'm very much forced to get into the kitbashing. It's fun. Damn time consuming and very trial and error, but fun.

-First task is making it functional -- able to combine; hold the weight of it's own arms up; standable and bendable at the knee joints.
-Second is to work on the hands, feet, chest plate, and head.
-Third will be weapons. I want to be able to put ALL of the Combaticons oversized G1 weapons into use while combined as Bruticus. Brawl and Swindle's guns will combine into a rifle; Blast Off's guns will be Bruticus' back cannons; and Vortex's guns will mount on the sides of Bruticus' torso for a little extra artillery.
-And then painting.
-After all that, I'll think about gadgetry and articulation of the individual Combaticons. Vortex and Blast Off in particular, so that Bruticus can have elbows.

After I'm done gluing the joiner pieces, I'll post some more progress pics.

Thanks for the encouraging words y'all. I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl thinking about getting this thing done.

SMOG
10-18-2008, 03:42 PM
A lot of potential here! Wow!

Definitely those G1 bricks need some articulation added. You've got your work cut out for you if you're planning on doing all of this without altering your Onslaught.

On that note, I find it interesting that you're not willing to mod your Onslaught. When you really think about it, those KO giant Combaticons are actually rarer and in some sense, more valuable than U. Onslaught, who is clogging shelves all over North America at the moment.

Is that a mini-Bruticus you have on the side there, or a full size original? I was thinking that maybe an original Bruticus head (or Ruination or whatever) might be a decent size for your combined mode.

It might seem small, but that will help emphasize how massive he is overall. Just a thought.

zmog

S.A.A.M.
10-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Looking good...

Are those KOs actually the size of the Universe Ultras?

Prime Roller
10-19-2008, 03:17 AM
On that note, I find it interesting that you're not willing to mod your Onslaught. When you really think about it, those KO giant Combaticons are actually rarer and in some sense, more valuable than U. Onslaught, who is clogging shelves all over North America at the moment.

Is that a mini-Bruticus you have on the side there, or a full size original? I was thinking that maybe an original Bruticus head (or Ruination or whatever) might be a decent size for your combined mode.

Well, the KOs are just not very fun unless I do something with them. They look great combined with Onslaught (I've already made the joiner pieces without altering Onslaught in any way), and they will look even better painted in G1 colors! I just don't want to alter (read: damage) my Onslaught toy because it's fun and looks good the way it is, and it's just not necessary (with a little ingenuity ... and patience... and luck). Don't really care if it's a shelf clogger as long as it makes me happy to see it on MY shelf.

And that is an original size (albeit KO) Bruticus beside him. So it's gonna be HUGE. The original size Bruticus head looks way too small. My next plan is to see what an Energon Bruticus Maximus head will look like for size. (I know that oversized Doubledealer head I have propped up there looks too big, and too happy silly). If the Bruticus Maximus head doesn't look good, I'm just gonna have to learn what this 'sculpy' stuff is all about.

Keep those suggestions coming dudes, I'm all ears and really just winging it with this project! It's just gotta be done!!

Prime Roller
10-19-2008, 03:21 AM
Looking good...

Are those KOs actually the size of the Universe Ultras?

The KOs are about the size of the average Deluxe. They are a pretty good size match for the Ultra class Onslaught.

Bootleg
03-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Any update on the Universe Onslaughte Gestalt Projects???

Prime Roller
03-11-2009, 01:53 AM
Any update on the Universe Onslaughte Gestalt Projects???

Well it's been a while since I started this one, and it's far from being a dead project. I've just been working on a couple of other projects at the same time -- also gestalts (not as big, but just as complex).
And I've just built a shelving unit, and am finishing up a rotating plexiglass display case.
And I'm moving back to Taiwan at the end of April.
But I'm still definitely working on the Bruticus project. Actually, after reading your post earlier this evening, I worked on that one instead of the other projects. Thanks for the nudge.
The knees and shoulders attach firmly; very strong and articulated (all without altering the Onslaught figure).
I should get some current pictures up, as well as pics for my other two projects.

Prime Roller
04-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Over 6 months after the initial pics, I'm finally posting some progress pics. It's still not done, but it's coming along nicely.

So, as a reminder about what the deal is with this project -- I have 4 over-sized KO Combaticons (the limbs) I got in China, and I'm combining them with Universe Onslaught.
Onslaught will not be altered in any way (which made for figuring out the shoulder and knee joints very interesting).

The knees and shoulder joints work excellently, as do the feet. I'm yet to attach the hands (plus forearms), chest plate, and head -- but all is planned out and shouldn't be too difficult. And of course, the KOs will be painted after all the construction is done.

On with the pics already ---->>>

Prime Roller
04-25-2009, 01:05 PM
Here's a couple of real small and crappy photos of the shoulder attachment assembly. The purple, yellow, and grey pieces are from a Lego Knights arm, joint, and leg.

*Packing all of my toys to ship to Taiwan is a pain in the @$$!*

Edit: Wow, those little bitmap photos really suck. I'll post more when my already packed project gear gets to Taiwan by slow boat.

C_Shewins
04-25-2009, 02:11 PM
Hey, this is looking good man :) Keep up the good work, can't wait to see your finished product.

onecoin
04-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Sexy.

Bruticus82
04-25-2009, 04:39 PM
Very Schmexy! What are you using for the joints?

Prime Roller
05-03-2009, 03:25 AM
Joints at the knees are made from nailpolish tightened ball joints of a Megablocks Spider-Man mech thingy. But the brackets holding them into the back of Onslaughts legs are from some other unknown (to me) Value Village parts. The ball joints are still not as sturdy as I'd like them to be, so I may wind up dremeling them out (the glue I use is very strong) and using Lego Knights joints or something from another large Transformer toy.

The ankles are actually from a scout class Storm Surge (from the original of this mold -- another VV find). There is a rod with a ball joint on each end, but I glued down one end and used paper as a stopper to build up the glue around the other ball (does that make sense?). This restricts the movement of the second ball so he doesn't fall over. This ball joint was never intended to be strong enough to hold the weight, so it's made to always rest against the built up glue (which is stronger than Hasbro plastic btw).

The shoulder joints are from Lego Knights, and bracketed in with Lego pieces. The wrists (yet to be built) will be made out of Bioncle pieces.

And I just picked up a 3-pack of Halo helmets, and will be modifying one for the head. I'll probably be using the ball joint that's already attached to the bottom to mount it (perhaps clipped into the slot on the underside of Onslaught, or simply attached onto the top of the chest plate).

brr-icy
05-03-2009, 06:38 PM
i like where you are going with this, very nice