PDA

View Full Version : A shoutbox for Cybertron.ca?

Nerroth
09-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Hi!

On one other site I used to frequent - before it ran aground - they had a shoutbox set up.

Essentially, it's a kind of messenger where you enter your username and then add in text - and some versions allow you to use a third line for URL links, too.

I thought it might be handy for allowing those who are online at the same time to be able to touch base.

Does that sound like an idea?

Super_Megatron
09-29-2008, 03:07 PM
The problem with shoutboxes is the inability to moderate them. Fortunately if you look at the bottom of the forum index you can see who else is online.

soundwaveCA
09-29-2008, 04:40 PM
It's also a drain on the server if I recall as well, I know this was the reason it was dropped on TFW as I loved that thing,

Pascal
09-30-2008, 07:44 PM
The problem with shoutboxes is the inability to moderate them. Fortunately if you look at the bottom of the forum index you can see who else is online.

PM'ing back and forth is not very convenient... What about that free temporary chat room tfw2005 used a while ago? It could be a quick fix.

Nerroth
09-30-2008, 08:10 PM
The site in question had one type of shoutbox before - but switched to one which, apparently, has more options for mods or admins to control. (I'm not sure, but I think it's this (http://www.planetminibox.com/home/en-us/) type.)

Super_Megatron
09-30-2008, 09:55 PM
There are no plans at this time.
Thanks.

Nightscrabbler
09-30-2008, 10:29 PM
You could possibly create an off-topic thread in the general forum just for chatting back and forth or whatever. That might be okay as long as it isn't just spam.

Pascal
09-30-2008, 10:47 PM
If it's only for members of cybertron.ca, I don't even see a reason to have mods. We're only a handful of people, all civilized.

Take the tfans.com shoutbox. Completely ruined with bad modding. The only quiet times there are when the mods are not there. The minute they show up, trouble starts.

Code of Honor
09-30-2008, 11:29 PM
There are no plans at this time.
Thanks.

^^^