PDA

View Full Version : Looking for relatively simple paint option

Polenicus
09-23-2008, 06:19 PM
I just recently picked up some really need weapons kits for my Alts... namely, these:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/images/products/out/large/KOT10276.jpg

They come in flat black plastic, and I'd like to give them a nice metallic silver paintjob, something relatively durable. I don't need to add weathering or small details, a simple silver on the blades will suit my purpose. It's like to leave the grips black if possible, to give the weapons some contrast.

Now, I've heard that there are 'paint pens' available, that are good for small detail work. Since I don't need much paint, getting one of these might be nice, as the leftover can be used to add some silver detail to other things. Or, I could just get a can of silver paint, and some sealer, but I know I need a type that's compatible with model plastic, or risk melting the things.

Any recommendations? This is my first try at painting, and I'm not so good with detail work where there's no 'undo' command, so simple is best.

Sonray
09-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Buy some enamel or acrylic paint and some matte sealer, get a brush and apply light coats. Wait for it to dry then apply the sealer. Job done.

frenzy_rumble
09-23-2008, 11:18 PM
with no experience, I'd recommend the paint pens, this is exactly what they are for.

if you want to use paint, I would recommend a small bottle of testor's enamel, which can be found at most craft and hobby shops. Get a good brush, and apply thin coats. Enamel silver will give you the result you want straight from the bottle. no need to but a sealant on metallic.... it will kill the flakes.

keep away from the spray cans, unless you practice several scrap parts first.

Nightshade83
09-24-2008, 11:37 AM
If you want a cheaper paint option, I would recommend metallic silver nail polish. It's relatively easy to find, and you can get it for as low as $2 a bottle.

If you're going to be handling your toys a lot, however, a sealant on top would probably be a good idea.

Sonray
09-24-2008, 07:50 PM
If you want a cheaper paint option, I would recommend metallic silver nail polish. It's relatively easy to find, and you can get it for as low as $2 a bottle.

If you're going to be handling your toys a lot, however, a sealant on top would probably be a good idea.

Hasnt nail polish got acetone in it, which melts plastic?

And contrary to the comment about sealent killing the flakes in silver, that is simple not true. Ive sprayed whole cars with metallic paint, and obviously have had to apply a clear coat over it to protect it, and its never "eaten flakes". (lol) Same goes for when ive painted TF's with metallic enamels and added a clearcoat or a matte coat of sealent, it simply doesnt happen.
Enamel (just like acrylic) can chip off (just not so easily), so a sealent is always a good idea no matter what sort of hobby paint you use.

Bruticus82
09-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Nightshade has used Nail Polish previously, and it doesn't look like it melted the plastic:

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=8500

I would try it on a small part first though, just in case. It might vary depending on the brand of nail polish.

Nightshade83
09-24-2008, 08:34 PM

My bottle of Revon Glimmer Gloss Banana Blaze, which I used on my Robot Heroes Sunstorm (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=9884) repaint, has a bunch of ingredients that include acetate in the names, but not acetone.

Either way, I haven't had a problem with nail polish damaging any of my repaints.

I figure if it's gentle enough to put on a part of your body, it should be okay for a toy.

chans formers
09-24-2008, 09:18 PM

And contrary to the comment about sealent killing the flakes in silver, that is simple not true. Ive sprayed whole cars with metallic paint, and obviously have had to apply a clear coat over it to protect it, and its never "eaten flakes". (lol) Same goes for when ive painted TF's with metallic enamels and added a clearcoat or a matte coat of sealent, it simply doesnt happen.
Enamel (just like acrylic) can chip off (just not so easily), so a sealent is always a good idea no matter what sort of hobby paint you use.yes and no.basically if you spray a gloss over metallic gold or silver,nothing really happens except you get better "depth.but if you spray a matte clear over gold,silver and most metallics it doesnt "eat"the flakes,it just really dulls the heck out of the color and gives the illusion that you didnt even spray it with a flakey metallic.ive also spent a good part of my life (unfortunately:( )spraying down tuner cars,bodykits,etc,a good majority of them being really heavy in the flakes and chameleon colors.

frenzy_rumble
09-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Buy some enamel or acrylic paint and some matte sealer, get a brush and apply light coats. Wait for it to dry then apply the sealer. Job done.

this "advice" reminds me of someone anoyher time on another board who recommended sanding off decals on transformers.

The thread starter came here to get simple easy answers. Not deal with gripes and drama.

ANY matte sealer over ANY metallic paint will turn that metallic into gray. Unless he goes with industrial grade paints and sealants, which anyone can see, is not what he wants to do at all.
car paints aren't hobby paints. if you recommended the OP use car paints, then sealant, you'd have a case, but you didn't.

Acetone doesn't melt plastic either. Paint thinner does not either.
In fact, most of the best TF custom artists are using Krylon Fusion, which states specifically to give the plastic a wash with thinner or heavy chemicals.

I've painted hundreds of toys with both acrylic and enamel paint, through experience - I've seen clear coats DESTROY metallic paint, testors, krylon, tamiya, future floor polish, and more. There are ways around it, but this isn't the OP's need nor concern.

Learn through experience. I am getting tired of people giving bad advice and contradicting other's....because they've got 2-3 customs under their belt.

And to add more (simple) facts ....
Sealant won't prevent chipping. Sealant will protect the paint's finish. Nothing else. If you are using Sealant to add durability to your customs, you're doing it all wrong.
Proper preparation and primer keep paint from peeling or chipping.

niteowl
09-24-2008, 10:00 PM
i recommend finding,
the mysterious gold pool
of invincibility,
and ask omega supreme,
and beachcomber nicely,
if you can borrow some.
it will be shiny,
and protect you from laser fire,
but it will be the wrong color.

** me trying to diffuse
an obviously tense situation**

more for model kits,
but i find washing is an important step,
to avoid chipping.

Sonray
09-25-2008, 06:31 PM
Good point chans formers, but since people have ahd such varying results i guess it all depends on the application. Like i mentioned ive never noticed such things happening, niether on tf's or cars so we're doing something different at some stage.

Washing is a good tip niteowl, everything should be washed before anything is painted or even primed. Mold release lube residue can be an awful thing.

dak
09-28-2008, 07:54 PM
easiest approach is to just buy a metallic silver paint for model kits, and do a spray clear coat over it. Model paints and chrome paints will need that extra sealer to keep the metal flake from rubbing off. You could also go for a car paint, in a silver color, which you don't need to clear coat, but for added protection it would be advised.

Just remember that there are paints resistant to chipping, but not immune to it.